This article shows you how to set up Wine 7.0 on a Kali Linux 2022 computer to use software that can run on Windows 10 or other systems.
You cannot run Windows-compatible programs and games in Linux distributions, but you can use your programs by providing a layer with 3rd party software.
Installing Wine on Kali PC
To run Windows programs on Kali Linux or other Linux distributions, you need to use Wine or one of the alternative software.
Follow this video tutorial or the steps below to install the WineHQ 7.0 stable version on the Kali Linux 2022 distribution.
- To run all applications smoothly with WineHQ, first, enable 32-bit architecture.
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
- Run the commands below in the terminal to download the repository key for Wine to your system and add it to the appropriate location.
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key sudo mv winehq.key /usr/share/keyrings/winehq-archive.key
- To download and add winehq-bullseye.sources to the Kali repository, run the command below in the terminal.
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/dists/bullseye/winehq-bullseye.sources sudo mv winehq-bullseye.sources /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
- After downloading and editing the files for WineHQ, add the Debian Bullseye repository for some packages and then update the database.
echo "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian bullseye main " | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list sudo apt update
- Finally, run the sudo apt install –install-recommends winehq-stable command in the terminal to install the Wine stable version.
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
- If the installation cannot start, run the command below in the terminal to install additional packages on your system.
sudo apt install libgnutls30:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgpg-error0:i386 libxml2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386
- The installation will start when you try to install Wine again. After installing the WineHQ program on your Linux PC, run the terminal’s wine –version command to check its performance.
- Run the winecfg command in the terminal to start Wine.
Installing a Windows Program
- Download the setup file of one of the commonly used programs in Windows.
- Go to the location where you downloaded the exe file and open the terminal.
- To install the Windows program, run the terminal’s wine ./setupfile.exe command.