This article shows you how to set up PlayOnLinux 4.3.4, which allows you to run Windows games or software on the Kali Linux 2022 system.
PlayOnLinux provides an infrastructure using Wine to run Windows-based EXE or MSI software on Linux distributions. Thanks to its visual interface, users can easily access most supported applications.
Installing PlayOnLinux on Kali PC
Although PlayOnLinux is not related to WineHQ, it uses the Wine infrastructure on both platforms so users can run Windows software.
You can follow this video tutorial or the steps below to install and use PlayOnLinux on the Kali Linux system, which is widely used by Linux distributions.
- You can run 32-bit Windows applications on your Kali computer, open the terminal, and run sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386 to enable 32-bit architecture.
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
- For the Wine32 package to be installed correctly, you must add the Debian address to the Kali repository list. To add the Debian address to the repository list, run the echo “deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye contrib” | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list command.
echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye contrib" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
- After editing the repository, run the sudo apt update command in the terminal to check for new versions of the packages.
sudo apt update
- To install Wine32 and Wine64 required for PlayOnLinux on your system, run the command sudo apt and install wine32 wine64 -y in the terminal.
sudo apt install wine32 wine64 -y
- After making the necessary preparations, you can start the PlayOnLinux installation. Open the terminal and go to Downloads with the command cd ~/Downloads and download the deb package with the command wget https://www.playonlinux.com/script_files/PlayOnLinux/4.3.4/PlayOnLinux_4.3.4.deb.
cd ~/Downloads wget https://www.playonlinux.com/script_files/PlayOnLinux/4.3.4/PlayOnLinux_4.3.4.deb
- Run sudo dpkg -i PlayOnLinux_4.3.4.deb to install the deb package. If you also need to install dependent packages, run sudo apt install -f -y again.
sudo dpkg -i PlayOnLinux_4.3.4.deb sudo apt install -f -y
- After installing PlayOnLinux, check its version with the playonlinux –version command and then run the program with the playonlinux command.
playonlinux --version playonlinux
Installing a Windows Application
- Download the setup file of the Windows program you want to use on your Kali PC.
- Run PlayOnLinux, click Install a program, then click Install a non-listed program.
- After opening the wizard, skip the installation instructions and continue in the manual installation window.
- Choose to install the program on a new virtual drive and type the name of the virtual drive.
- Select 32bits Windows installation, specify the EXE file’s location, and install your program.